As an added benefit to your membership, lead 5 rides “The Wheelmen Way” through the season and your membership dues for next year will be waived. This is our way of showing you we appreciate you stepping up to be an inspiration to others.
Get to know our other ride leaders by clicking here.
Ride Leader Resources
Ride Leader Instructions
Before the Ride
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule your ride. We need to know your planned pace, how the hills are, and the distance. Please refer to the Ride Classifications page for help.
- Plan your route, if you aren’t using a mapped route consider the following:
- Where can you take shortcuts if necessary
- Places to stop and regroup (remember, intersections are convenient but dangerous, a wide berm is a better location)
- Location of food stops
- Location of restroom facilities
- Prepare a map and cue sheet. If you are leading a new ride, email@example.com so we can help you with this.
- Copy a Sign-In Sheet from the Club’s web site. This Sample Sign-In Sheet shows how your form should be completed.
At the Start
- Arrive at the start at least 15 minutes before the ride start.
- Greet the riders as they arrive, let new riders know that they are especially welcome.
- Help the riders get acquainted with each other.
- Let everyone know the anticipated pace and distance and be sure they have the experience to handle it.
- Be sure everyone signs the sign-up sheet and has a map.
- Review rules for safe cycling:
- Obey all traffic laws they apply to bikes as well as cars
- Be considerate of motorists, ride single file
- Let other cyclists know what is going on by calling out “Car back”, “On Your left”, “Hole”, etc.
- Pass only on the left, never on the right
- If you leave the Leader you are no longer part of the Ride
- Everyone wears a helmet
- If you are leading from the rear, get someone who knows the route to ride in front
- Make a count of the group before you start
During the Ride
- Follow the rules of the road; set a good example
- If the group is large, stop shortly after you start to make sure everyone is with you
- Regroup after busy intersections so no one feels pressured to do something unsafe to stay with the group
- Keep the group together as much as possible
- Let newer riders know you are glad they came along
- Take an occasional count to make sure no one has been dropped
- Enjoy the Ride
At the Finish
- Make sure everyone is back
- Thank everyone for coming
- Store the sign-up sheet in a safe place.
- Scan and email a copy of your sign-in sheet to the following email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
If You Can’t Lead the Ride
If for some reason you will not be able to lead a scheduled ride, follow these priorities:
- Have someone else lead the ride for you.
- Email email@example.com. We may be able to you arrange for a substitute ride leader.
- Cancel the ride. Ask to remove the ride from the online ride calendar. Have someone show up at the ride start to tell them the ride is cancelled.